View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #594
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
Yeah, they have to figure out liability, but how does it work today? Right now when facing a potential accident humans make a range of choices and people don't go bananas...I think liability will probably end up with the manufacturer
The difference is if a driver swerves to avoid an oncoming truck and runs over a pedestrian, we take into account the state of stress the driver is in, his lack of awareness of what's around him 360 degrees, and the split-second nature of the decision he has to make. A driver in that situation will rarely be found at fault.

But a car programmed to swerve away from an oncoming truck onto a sidewalk with pedestrians is an entirely different kettle of fish. At some point, the designers of the software have to come up with procedures that rely on valuating probabilities against lives.

I'm not saying it's in insurmountable problem. But I wouldn't be surprised if the legislative/ethical/liability issues take as long to hash out as the technology. So if we're 10 years away technologically, we're at least 20 years away from a regulatory and legal framework.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: