View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

All your 1st are belong to us.
All your goalies are belong to us.

In all seriousness, there is definite talent in the system. Flames are applying a 'shot-gun' approach, and one pellet will end up hitting the target. Mixed ages, mixed backgrounds and mixed pedigrees. There is nothing set in stone.

All the goalies (unsure about MacDonald - would like him retained, but we will see) will come in and compete for the starter and backup position (or even a 1A/1B position). Give them time. Flames are not competing anyways, and as long as there is depth and competition in the ranks, one will eventually make himself available. Goalies are so hard to predict, that often 'cast-offs' turn into premier Vezina winning starters. Flames fans should know this very well with sending away one for peanuts (Giguere) and obtaining one for peanuts (Kipper).

I am not familiar with Berra. I am barely familiar with Ramo. Brossoit, however, will not start in the ECHL unless he has an enormous meltdown. He will be penciled in as the Heat's backup - even might be penciled in as the starter there, who knows.

One of these goalies might surprise this season and steal the show, and be a legitimate starter. One may grow into that role during the season, or in the next couple of seasons. Still, another can be made available from another organization. Flames are not competing next season, so they do have time to find the right fit. I don't cross out someone like Ramo or Berra from being a legitimate starter, or even someone like Ortio or Brossoit. Only time will tell how this pans out. Fans just need to be patient with it, especially during a rebuild.

My biggest fear is that a few goalies start, have some bad games (being rookies and all), and start getting some bronx cheers if things don't go well soon enough. That will rattle anyone, and it is tough to recover from that.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote