View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
As someone who has tried dam near every single company on smart bulbs I would say lifx and hue in that order are the best. "Off Brands" seem to have many disconnect and power issues and they aren't worth the frustration of saving a few dollars a bulb.

Lifx are brighter, do not require a hub and have more color variations. However lifx bulbs hate airtime fairness and a few other settings in older routers.

Hue are not as bright, cannot display as many colors as lifx but the hub ensures great compatibility with routers and systems. Hue also have a bunch of accessories like sensors that can integrate with the bulbs flawlessly. Lifx require IFTTT to do the same.

I run lifx strips as ambient on all tvs that trigger when the TV is turned on as well as strips in my kitchen under cabinet. Then lifx bulbs in my living room pot lighting and office due to their brightness. I have hue in the bedrooms with a sensor in each bedroom, my pantry with a sensor, my garage with a sensor and both front and back doors with a hue sensors.
Hue has new bulbs that are supposed to be brighter and use Bluetooth so you don’t need a hub. I haven’t tried them so I can’t vouch for them.

I have them in my living room, dining room, kitchen, office, and bedroom. The bedroom bulbs are on a timer so they slowly turn on when I get up and get dimmer and warmer at sunset. I installed switches in each room but I mostly use the app or voice commands. I live in a condo so one hub is enough to run everything.

I have multiple bulbs in each fixture so brightness isn’t an issue. I got the new “retro” filament bulbs for my living room lamps that are very cool.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote