View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #41
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
We should keep Daylight Savings Time and get rid of Standard Time. Then in winter it would get dark 1 hr later. I'd rather come home from work and see a little daylight then pitch black every December.

This is essentially what they are proposing (so it seems), but wholly poor communication, almost every article or news piece uses a headline like "NDP look to remove Daylight Saving Time" when in reality the proposal is to eliminate Standard Time. To make things more confusing they want to rename the time zone to Alberta Standard Time, rather than just keeping MDT, or CST.

I've been a really big proponent of going to a year round Daylight Saving Time for a long time, but this rollout is so stupid. Poor messaging, poor plan to implement, seems primarily aimed at being a distraction to their poor performance. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that this government would find a way to mess up a good thing. Even though I'd much prefer MDT year round, I think it's foolish to do this without the rest of North America on board...or at least the rest of the country, or without even just BC on board.

The thing I find most weird is when they extended Daylight Saving Time to the 8 months in North America, it just happened, was easy, and everyone followed...I don't even think it was a vote in the Legislature. Too bad we can't just do that again for year round DST.