View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 11:06 AM   #24
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Wow, your story is terrifying!! Best of luck to you in your journey, you'll achieve it, just stick to it and get back to it even after you slip up (which you will).

I'm not an expert so all I can do is share what I do. For background, I'm in my early 40s, single, smoke (12 a day) and drink quite a bit (varies as my career requires me to take clients out for expensive dinner with lots of drinks, which is at least once a week). I do weights 4-5 times a week (no set schedule, I listen to my body and when it needs rest, I give it rest which may be for 1 day or 2 straight days, at most). I do actual walks (45-120 min) 3-4 times weekly at a very high pace (breathing is heavier than when casually walking) in the winters and 7 days a week when it's not crazy cold outside, going 2 times daily on Saturdays and Sundays.

My father is diabetic, and ever since his diagnosis 20 years ago, I've made a point to watch my diet and sugar intake levels, which to date, has worked since I just had my annual physical with full bloodwork and ECG, etc and all levels for everything (except Vitamin D and iron) are solid. I'm always worried about the diabetes indicators given my father.

Because of this I really do watch my diet, but even when I say that, it's nothing crazy. I exercise discipline (relatively) when I have control. I don't monitor calories, I just do a few things. Never add sugar myself to anything unless it comes in a sauce (but also rarely consume that stuff, except on odd occasions like condiments, etc). I keep rice/noodle intake down to 6-7 meals a week (I'm Chinese, I need my rice and noodles!) in the winters when I crave carbs way more and 3-4 meals a week when it's warmer. I cook dinners anywhere from 4-7 of the 7 nights a week depending on my plans (work and personal). I eat all proteins and switch them around depending on what I want. Fish, pork, beef, chicken, other seafood, I eat it all and believe in taking it all in. I eat fish on average twice a week for dinner when I cook. Eat a ton of veggies for my dinners too. Not a fan of salads, so I roast them or pan-fry depending on the meal. Not eating salads also helps with not consuming the terrible salad dressings which are no good for you.

But important to point out as well is that when I go out, I enjoy myself. I don't watch what I eat. I'll get that poutine while at the Jays game, and I'll have way too many beers while I'm there too. I just don't go to every game, so I figure it's okay. Even when I cook at home, I'll make a nice rib steak with the fat on. I'll make a crackling pork belly and eat it. I just don't overdo the "bad stuff", but I'm not going to eliminate it completely.

As I mentioned earlier, I did just come back from my physical and cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc. all were very good. Everyone's body is different, but what I'm doing seems to be okay for my body. My doc does harp on my drinking and smoking though (as he should!).
Can't agree more!
When I indulge, and I definitely do, the only thing that disappoints me is if the food is no good. I love indulging and am happy to blow my daily calorie budget by 1000 or more, as long as it's delicious. Thanks for sharing!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: