View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered salvaging an old desktop? It might serve several functions if salvaged.

1. Lockable box. Many have locks to keep someone from stealing the innards. It might be a little big, but should work. You may need to reinforce it so someone can't punch in the plastic slots to bypass the puzzle though.

2. HDD = Magnets. You just need those * shaped screw drivers to open them. I like using a hammer and pliers to remove the magnet from the metal piece. Jam one side of the metal into the claw and bend the metal using the pliers. When bent far enough, pluck magnet using pliers.

3. HDD = mirrors. Some plates on the inside are shiny enough to be mirrors. They will have a hole in them, but work nonetheless if a small one is good enough.

4. "Puzzle". Find a paper clip, push open the CD drive manually?

5. "Puzzle components". Enough wires and bits that you can salvage to try and do some "connect the circuit" to beat puzzle thing. Or maybe short circuit puzzle to release object on electro magnet. Behind a panel or something.

Be careful of certain metal frame pieces on the inside that might have a slightly sharp edge though. Newer desktops are ok. It's the older ones that might have those edges.

I've seen old Optiplex desktops for $50 or less on Kijiji or other places. By disassembling the HDD, technically it's a free HDD destruction, so I think some people might be willing to donate a desktop if they know that their data is destroyed.

Unfortunately, I disposed of lots of this type of stuff a few months ago so I cannot help. Good luck though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: