View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #546
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without further ado...

My 100% Unscientific Assessment of Flames Prospects in Abbotsford

GOALIES:
  • Danny Taylor: 17-10-3, 2.21avg, .927svp - tremendous addition as a guy to spell-off/push Irving. Depending on what happens in off-season, he should (at least) get an AHL deal next season.
  • Leland Irving: 22-13-3, 2.67avg, .902svp - numbers took a bit of a tumble as he bounced from Calgary to Abbotsford to the maternity ward. That said, he was clutch for every team he played for.
  • Joni Ortio: 1-4-0, 2.94avg, .890svp - numbers somewhat reflect that he didn't play very much. Unsure where he fits into Calgary's plans at this point, but he's still very young and has lots of potential.
DEFENDERS:
  • Brian Connelly: 1 goal, 16 points in 28 games - not the best defensive player in the world, but he's got good hands and a good eye. But he's awfully small.
  • Clay Wilson: 16 goals, 43 points in 66 games - really liked Wilson in his pair of call-ups to Calgary. Smart player, not overly flashy, but makes smart plays.
  • Joe Piskula: 3 goals, 18 points in 59 games - Piskula is not an NHL caliber defender. That said, he's a very good vet to have in Abbotsford. Smart defensive player, although not amazingly mobile.
  • Jordan Henry: 2 goals, 9 points in 52 games (now with Chicago) - brought in from the KHL, Henry didn't really keep pace with the other blueline prospects. (I'm trying to be nice.)
  • Brett Carson: 2 goals, 8 points in 34 games - battled injuries all year, and I'm unsure as to how much of his play this year was impacted by that. Still, didn't have a great season by most measures.
  • Chris Breen: 1 goal, 7 points in 70 games - played the most of any Abbotsford defender (due to call-ups). By all accounts, wasn't horrible (plus/minus is okay), but was shielded a bit.
  • James Martin: 2 goals, 3 points in 28 games - very young and raw, but I'm not sure how scared I should be by his -13 and frequent scratches.
  • Brady Lamb: 0 points in 1 game - he played one game and was a plus. Good for him.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post: