Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #283
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
So I have ordered this:

2010 Marin Argenta

This is my first road biek and I'm pretty stoked to get riding. I was a commuter for a couple years but am now a bit too far to do it daily, so I wanted something to spend my weekends on. Couple questions for the gurus...

Pedals and Shoes
I want to go clipless but have only ever ridden toe clips. Any recommendations? I was looking at something like this.
For shoes - how do you pick a good shoe? Should they fit bang on, or do they stretch or break-in? What is the difference between a $100 shoe and a $400 shoe?

Rides
Any recommendations on where to start riding? I'll be heading out solo and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to get started for scenic but not too challenging road rides? Where do you guys go?

Thanks!
I bought a Cervelo R3 and I think those are the pedals I put on it. I know they were 105s and they look very similar. The price is pretty close as well. They work great and I didn't feel as an intermediate rider I needed to double my budget for something that weighed a few grams less. You can adjust the tightness so conform to how you want to ride.

For shoes I paid $330 and got these: http://labiciclettaproshop.com/produ...shoes-4053.htm

You need a good fit on your shoe. My foot just fits Specialized very well. I have three pairs of them. I bought a pair a couple years ago for $125 that I have the SPD clip on the bottom, as the bike I use it for has pedals that one one side you can use regular shoes and the other side SPD clip in shoes. My third pair I picked up for $30 at a season blow out sale. They aren't as comfortable as the new ones, but I mainly use them indoors on a bike trainer. I wanted to get SIDI shoes, but they were too narrow for me.

The biggest piece of advice is to get fitted for your bike. They will adjust the shoes, pedals, bike, etc. to make sure you are riding the most efficiently. I had a few lifts put in my left shoe, which has made a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point