View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
How do you like this tent?
This tent really meets my needs at a price and weight that are quite reasonable.

I bought this tent at the end of last year so have about 12 nights in so I almost have enough nights in it to give a reasonable review. When I bought it I was looking for a tent that would allow me to have just 1 tent for 2 or 3 hiking person trips and family trips with my wife and 2 kids (2 and 4) and would continue to work as they grow. I also didn't want to be hauling around an 8lb dome tent with splitting it between 2 people.

So the realistic options out there are the Big Agnes Copper Spur4, Big Angnes Fly Creek 4, TarpTent HogBack, and the Go Lite Shangri La 5 so take a look at those options if you are in the market.

The Shangri La has significantly more space than any of the other options and is cheaper. The only draw back is the pole in the center of the tent. This would make it a little ackward for a couple as you would have to share half the tent rather than use all of the space. I was also concerned with my kids playing with the pole and collapsing the tent but this has not been an issue. The other issue is that the walls are quite sloped so the first 6" round the perimiter is only useable for gear and not people. The tent is a Place for 3 Adults. You each have elbow room and space for gear. It is a tight fit for four adults but I still think roomier than the big Agnes options. Four our family right now it is very comfortable and should fit all of us for another 5 years or so at which time the kids can go in their own tent.

To make the weight comparable with the BA Fly Creek and Tarptent Hogback you need to use 2 trekking poles lashed together. If you already use trekking poles this saves bringing the stock pole along and is just as sturdy. By doing this the weight of the tent is very comparable to the other 3 options. Also it is modular so you can pitch it with just the fly as a sub 2lb 4 person Palace. I haven't done this yet but probably try it late september this year when the bugs are gone.

TLDR: If you can deal with the pole being in the center of the tent this tent is really roomy for 3 people and can fit 4 adults better than other comparable tents.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: