View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #37
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Serious question, when your self driving car gets into an accident, because of a malfunction, does your insurance get jacked? I've been wondering about all these cars that park themselves. If one of them were to ding a car while you're sitting there with your hands off the wheel, is it an at fault accident on you?

I know that under our insurance, mechanical failures causing accidents have been put on the owner as they are the result of deficient maintenance.
I'd imagine insurance rules completely change. Insurance being covered under the "leasing party" for instance (like a car2go system) probably would be the case for leased vehicles. I have no idea in regards to self owned cars. I could even imagine self driving cars would be set up to go receive maintenance on a regular basis from a dealer/manufacturer and your car might be completely replaced if an issue arises. (Other than sitting inside/usage, what other ways would a self driving car break down mechanically that's the fault of an owner?)

If anything, I could imagine a set up similar to Tesla where their car is basically a skateboard with batteries and a chassis tossed on top. You'd own your own "cockpit/chassis" which gets inserted into a "vehicle" they send over. Imagine getting to a location where parking is a removed locked cockpit you own. The rest of the vehicles just pick up other individuals and their cockpits and meander along. Similar in nature to you borrowing a shopping cart, but different. You'd need less cars manufactured, you'd save space and you'd have no headache of owning a stationary car. You would also reduce the empty space that most cars have (ie: 1/4 occupants) and could roll out 1/1 cars, or whatever size is necessary.

The future holds a lot of interesting crazy stuff.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote