Thread: Unlocked phones
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
I've got one of these in a box I'll be putting up for sale soon.
Has dual SIM.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLU-Energy-2-F...ergy%2Bx2&th=1

I also bought a fake-leather flip case for it. Used gently for about 6 months.
$100?
IMO, that's a fantastic travel phone or temp phone while in between phones, but not a phone I'd consider as a daily use phone for "everything". I really wanted a BLU phone before, but the way that some of the phone prices are falling, I'm starting to lean towards acquiring a Blackberry or other Android options to play with as they are still strong options as replacement phones and have decent resale value if I bore of the phone.

@jwslam: If you buy a used unlocked phone, there are things to pay attention to.

1. Make sure it's unlocked.
2. Find my phone software is disabled

There are great guides online how to do this. They will explain better than we may be able to explain.

Buying from a retailer is easier. The specs on the phone will explain whether it's locked or unlocked. Easy to go back to sort things out if there's a complication.

Retaining your old plan should be as easy as popping your SIM card into a new unlocked phone and powering on. Migrating your info is a different beast, but there are generally lots of good guides on how to do this. Some retailers like Apple will include helping you migrate your phone for free. I don't know how ubiquitous this service is for Android.

The only complication I can think of if you go this route, is if your SIM card is the wrong size (ie: Full vs mini vs nano) If that's the case, the easiest method is to go to a mobile kiosk of your provider and ask them to migrate your SIM to the correct size. Shouldn't cost more than $10-15 and some carriers don't even charge anything for the service. You could cut the SIM down to size at your own risk if you are brave enough to attempt it, but I'd definitely go to different kiosks and ask if they'll do it for free.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote