View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

good on you for keeping your WHS going for so long!

Like GoinAllTheWay, I have a Synology and I have started doing exactly the same thing with the Red Drives as my older desktop drives fail. I have it on redundant mode inside the Synology and when I replaced a dead HDD, it was basically a matter of buying a bigger HDD than the one that I replaced.

I figured that over the life of the device, a local redundant drive was better than paying for the upload over Shaw and the network storage.

Not sure if GoinAllTheWay has seen the same thing with his drives, but when I run the S.M.A.R.T. tests, the Red drives always seem to be running at a lower temperature than the other drives. This has the added benefit of reducing the overall temperature in the small NAS box for the other drives as well.

I find my Synology getting just a bit slower now, but overall I would totally buy another Synology drive if it came to that. I have also considered buying a cheap 2 bay Synology and using that as a backup for the main NAS, but I always back away from it.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote