View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #55
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I skimmed the thread, but in addition to what has been mentioned, some things that I did/ wish I did:

- 2x6 studs instead of 2x4. Better for electrical and insulation, as well as being stronger.
- Run coax and Cat6 to the garage. Internet, TV, phone, etc. I like having a landline in the garage as it's the place I am most likely to need 911.
- Foam under the garage floor. Makes a huge difference working in there in the winter.
- As mentioned, stub wall the entire perimeter.
- Also as mentioned, drainage. You have an advantage with that slope that you can run it outside and through the apron.
- Can you bump the one side out to 22'? 34' the other way is awesome, but those extra 2 feet the other way might make or break things.
- With electrical, in addition to what was said about never too many plugs, I went with double gang boxes so each set of outlets can handle 4 plugs. I also alternated along the wall, so every other plug was on a different circuit. A few times you need a compressor running beside a table saw.
This. My rental property is 2x4 and in -25C, it get's to -10C in the garage if it's over a couple of days. My new garage is 2x6 and better insulated. It hasn't dropped below +5C in there. I did add an electric heater for when I work in the garage. I didn't need anything more since my garage stays relatively warm.
Also, I have hot and cold taps in the garage and drains in each bay. So nice.
I do wish I had more plugs.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote