View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They tried to make the XFL unique last time.

They used CFL rules like no fair catch, the bizarre ball chase instead of a coin flip. One foot in.

They also tried to make it a combination of UFC and WWE, they wanted story lines to go with legitimate results.

On top or that they had some really stunningly good ideas around the presentation of the game including the camera work.

It could have worked too, the NFL was stale and boring and arrogant, and they were having a tough time selling tickets, and the owners were closed minded.

But it failed for a few reasons, but mostly around the sport itself.

They failed because while they went out and got a lot of young hungry guys that were at the end of their football lives, that weren't good enough for the NFL, and didn't want to play in the CFL. But they didn't get those stars that you need to survive. The USFL had it right, they spent money to bring in these young exciting young players to build the league around. the Kelly's, the Fluties, the Dickersons. You wanted to see these guys play.

The XFL had Tommy Maddox.

On top of that the coaches didn't get the message around making the league exciting and taking advantage of the rules. They were in the business of using what they knew, which was boring grinding football, safe football. And they didn't want to play the story line games with the interviews and cheerleaders. They wanted to play safe and get paychecks and they knew they didn't have the players to do anything but play basic football.

The XFL was so focused on the glamour of the league that they didn't focus on the game itself and didn't have enough training camp time, didn't have the really innovative offensive and defensive coaches that the NFL didn't want. They didn't have the exciting talent.

Trust me, I think this is going to fail. By the time the college bowl games are over and the Super Bowl is done, people are burned out on football, they move on to a different sport for a while, or actually spend time with their families. The timeline is going to fail hard.

But how can it work.

If you're going to change the rules, go out and recruit the exciting and dynamic college players that might not mould into an NFL playbook. Go grab that RPO QB that's expected to slide in the draft, and build an offense around him. Sign that undersized but blazingly fast running back, or that linebacker that's a bit small but a monster hitter.

And then target 5 or 6 of the top prospects and open the vault.

Then pay them do nothing but train and learn your game for a year. Hold a bunch of mini camps and then a major training camp.

At the same time do what they did last time, find a new way to present the game, use a virtual reality option so it feels like your in the stands, or pacing on the side lines.

If they do that, maybe they can succeed, i doubt it though.

Oh and name me the Head Coach of the Arizona Legend Killers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: