View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #43
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
You're right. Everyone should work a job they hate as long as it brings in the maximum amount of money possible.

So glad you aren't a teacher. There's enough of those kind of teachers out there, the ones who were drawn to the "perks" of the job but don't have a passion for it.

What a maroon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm 38. If I went back to school for two years to get my Masters of Teaching (or whatever it's called) in September, I'd be in my 40s when I graduated. To maximize my pension potential, I'd basically be working into my late 60s, which is not something I want to do.

As well, I really like my career, but I do recognize teaching is better; a realization I came to too late to practically do anything about it.

I also don't subscribe to the philosophy of following your dreams and passions. Assuming your job isn't making you miserable, I believe you do the best for your family by maximizing your income in the minimum amount of hours per day/year. Teaching is an outstanding career by this measure. Following your dreams is great if you are choosing to be a single person, but it's a very selfish approach if you have a wife and kids (imo!).
Sorry, who's the maroon? I clearly stated your job shouldn't make you miserable.