View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I have been a RC heli guy for a while now and have been thinking of getting into quad's lately. Would you recommend getting a Phantom (thinking the Phantom 2 + gimbel because I already own a Go Pro) or build my own 450/550? I already own a DX7s as well.
I was humming and hawing about the right balance for a while. I was between a P2 Vision+ or a P2 + Zenmuse + Gopro + all the other crap you have to buy. P2V+ is $1499 ready to fly with 2 batteries. To get the same out of a P2, then building it up, you will hit about $2200, but you will not have the incredibly slick iOS/android interface. You end up with a very industrial/DOS style interface. And you lose the ability to start and stop recording in the air. And also switch between camera modes. You have to start your go pro on the ground, and stop it when you land. They advise against using the GoPro remote, as they are on the same channel as the transmitter, and can cause flyways. You will get better range, but, there are antenna mods you can do to a P2V+ that will give you 3+ km range as well. P2V+ is also optimally weighted and balanced, and I have had mine in the air on a single charge for 26 minutes, with 10% left.

I am so glad I bought the P2V+. The thing is turn key right out of the box. You can literally have the thing setup, paired to your phone/ipad, and in the air within 10 minutes out of the box from the factory. I do however, recommend spending a good couple days reading the manuals, as you don't wan't $1500 flying off on the horizon.

The only drawback to the whole P2V+ package IMHO, is 1080p is only 30fps, where with a Gopro H3+, I believe you can go up to 120fps. You can do 60 fps with the P2V+ but only 720p. For youtube stuff, it works just fine, and nobody will know. But If you plan to put it on your 70" TV, it will be a little sucky.

The biggest benefit to the P2V+ though, is as long as your batteries are charged, and you compass has been properly calibrated for where you flying (you only have to recalibrate if you leave the general area and but that I mean I will fly it in Banff or Calgary on the same calibration with no issues), you can have it in the air in 2 minutes. Any other system you usually have 15 minutes of pre-flight BS to go through.

Last edited by pylon; 07-18-2014 at 11:41 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: