View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 01:13 AM   #23
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think that the reasoning outlined surely contributed to their lack of success, but there were probably other underlying reasons as well. Yes, I would agree that Jarome definitely brought an element to that team that was missing, but that team probably suffered more from a lack of skill and speed overall (they had both before) and were a team with too many over-priced players.

In the cap era, your team is only as good as how they play to the cap. Over-priced teams don't play up to their cap hits, great teams exceed them. They simply didn't have enough depth with the departure of guys like Richards, Williams, Voynov, etc., and became an older, slower and less skilled team overall. Leadership can only help so much.

Flames had a much younger and better player in Iginla for a while, and say what you will about his leadership, but he was recognized for that leadership and he was not able to take the Flames anywhere after the 2004 run. The Flames had an old, slow and not skilled enough team either during those missed years in 2010. No amount of leadership could get those teams over the hump, and I would say the Flames didn't suffer for leadership with guys like Regehr, Iginla, Langkow, etc.

The Kings this past season didn't have that 'moxie' or swagger that they had in the past, but I think it was lost just as much from a lack of skill and belief in themselves as a lack of leadership.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote