View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
we think we will 'rough it' for the most part, but treat ourselves to an occasional nice hotel for a night or two.
My now-Wife and I too had the mindset to "Rough it" but as we found, there was awesome hotels for 10-13 dollars US a night that had clean rooms/linens and not as many " Annoying kids" (We were 24 when we went) It was easy to find the party and really nice to have a clean quiet room.

Highlights for us -
- 3 day homestay in Sapa. We were able to work in the rice paddies with our host family. Driving an waterbuffalo for a day is something else
- Luang Prabang had some unbelievable scenery, we ended up doing alot of scooter rides from here. Amazing riverside "bars" - warm beer for the most part. Really quiet and fun to try and talk to the locals.
- 3 days of partying in Vang Vieng is something else.
- Get some clothes made in Hoi An - my wife had her wedding dress made for 50 dollars overnight.
- Ankor Wat - Siem Riep is an amazing town, not just for Ankor, but there is tons to do around it. We took a private tour of the floating villages, small town markets. Amazing.

Like anyone who has been to S.E Asia, I can go on and on. Eat in as few restaurants/bars as possible, eat in the markets/on the street/ in peoples homes as much as possible. Rent scooter whenever you can/feel comfortable.

We also found that we had alot of luck of hiring a local "Guide" and they would end up taking us to their relatives farm/buisness for a behind the scenes look at life, instead of going through a travel agency.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post: