View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Running is fantastic meditation. You get to the point where the body numbs out the pain and you are left in a meditative trance where the world floats by you. A way to truly experience the nature around you.

I quit entering races quite a while ago and don't run with a watch anymore. Far more enjoyable as an activity than a mechanical goal oriented task.

I'm looking at doing the Sawback Trail in Banff this year as a goal run

If you don't enjoy running why bother doing it? You can get most of the health benefit from HIIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm one of those who hate it and don't understand the enjoyment some people get from it. For me, as soon as I start running my mind turns to figuring out how much longer it is going to take, what my pace is, what % of the run is completed an how much there is left. All negative thoughts that tend to drag me down and make the activity very much a miserable way to get excercise.

I want to be GGG, but my attitude always gravitates towards Lubicon. I've run in chunks usually lasting 2-3 months each time, and I don't feel like I ever managed to get what many refer to as a "runners high". Sure, I've had my body kick in and kill the pain, but beyond that I wouldn't say I hit any level of enjoyment. Perhaps I just never did it long enough, or didn't have the right attitude towards it.

I always used the old adage "I hate running, but I love having run." Unfortunately the latter is outweighed by the former for me. Feels great when I'm done, but as soon as it's time for another run I'd rather do literally anything else. Work. Murder. Anything.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote