View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #166
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
By some nights, do you mean maybe one or two games and then the other 50 he was one of the worst?

I respect your posts on this site but you're way too nice and positive when talking about the Flames. I know some say I'm negative but come on Wideman a beast defensively when we made the playoffs? He was terrible defensively. I remember the talk being "well at least he's out scoring his mistakes" because he was making so many.

Wideman even after that good year offensively was a black hole defensively. That's some revisionist history calling him a beast defensively.

Wideman had never been even above average defensively let alone a beast.
Yes, he was a defensive beast.

You must have short term memory to forget how Wideman for a time (while on the Flames) led all NHL defencemen in TOI. He was fantastic at both ends of the ice, and did so in two long stints while on the Flames, especially when Giordano went down.

You may not like Wideman now. However, it is either your short-term memory or your own revisionist history that has completely erased what Wideman at least used to be.

Just because a player 'sucks now', doesn't mean that player always sucked. Wideman was indeed counted on to play some heavy minutes against top competition on the Flames, and he did it well.

Edit: While I may be 'positive' mostly, this is just who I am as a fan. Life can be plenty negative, and sports is one of my outlet to focus on something positive - win or lose. Why focus on what is wrong all the time when you can enjoy what is right? With that being said, I have been plenty negative over the years here. I mostly don't discuss the bad stuff, as it seems to be well covered usually, so no need for me to delve into it. I do bring up plenty of negative things though - I remember especially my 'attack' on Baertschi for just coasting around not doing much time and time again as I started noticing the kid simply wasn't skating or competing hard. I also have made a number of posts on my observations on Shinkaruk - I didn't like him at the draft, didn't like it when the Flames traded for him, and still don't like him now, and I will be shocked if he turns into an NHL'er. I couldn't stand Brent Sutter and made a tonne of posts (still do at times) about him as a coach, and how Stajan was so mentally weak and didn't bother to prepare or compete hard that he allowed Horak to walk on and take his job. I have been plenty negative on this site, actually

I just don't often post about negative stuff too much since I just find it draining to fixate on stuff like that. I just find when it comes to following a team and cheering for them, it doesn't make much sense for me to just focus on what's wrong, instead of what's right. It isn't because I think I am a better fan, or something stupid like that, but rather just how I look at the whole reason for cheering on a team in the first place, and I also remember that these sports figures are really human beings as well, and really don't want to suck. Now if they don't try, or pout and ask for a trade (screw you Drury) that is a different thing altogether.

As for Andersson - interesting he was converted. I am guessing he might be here to stay at least until Stone is back. I figure he will get a few games in at least, and the Flames might keep him up the rest of the year if he performs well. Hope he does.

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 03-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: