View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #46
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really happy to see Sim Bhullar make the NCAA tournament. Especially because he's the only reason New Mexico State had a shot at winning their conference. In their championship game, he went for 16 pts, 15 rbs, 5 blks, 2 ass. And that comes a night after going 14 and 10 with 3 blocks. (Fellow Canadian Daniel Mullings also plays on the Aggies and had a major role in their strong second-half of the season.)
As I've mentioned before in this thread, the biggest question with Bhullar was whether he'd be able to get his 355 lb body up and down the court for any significant amount of time, but he's routinely a 30+ minutes a night player now. Putting up back-to-back-to-back 30 minute nights in the WAC tournament, with double-doubles in the last two games is beyond where I think even his most optimistic supporters thought he would be at.
The biggest question hole in his game now is free-throw shooting, which was below 50% this season.
A summer of improved conditioning and free-throw shooting would get him a little closer to being an NBA player. I'm rooting hard for him to make it some day, because it would be such a great story, both as a Canadian as well as the first Indian-heritage player with a shot at making it.

Here are some of the notable Canadians in the tournament this year:

Pangos and Olynyk, Gonzaga
Bennett and Birch, UNLV
Bhullar, Mullings, Watson, Dickson, NMSU
Stauskas, Michigan
Cadougan, Marquette
Ejim, Iowa State
Rivard, Harvard
Johnson, Bucknell
Cochrane, Davidson
Manigat, Creighton
Wiggins and Lufile, Witchita State
Glaze, St. Louis
Jones, Syracuse
Walker, Minnesota

Notable Canadians to miss the tournament: Heslip, Baylor; Hanlan, Boston College; Wiltjer, Kentucky; Kabongo, Texas; Powell, Stanford.

Last edited by octothorp; 03-25-2013 at 01:53 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote