View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #27
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
is anyone else concerned that major corporations are intentionally inhibiting the progression of these third world countries because if they move past the manufacturing stage of their economic evolution that they will no longer provide cheap labour?

the natural progression of a pre-industrialized economy is that they start with simple manufacturing then they eventually move on to an economy based more upon the funding of manufacturing. If anyone remembers junior high their are 4 sectors, primary (which is the raw goods) then secondary (the manufacturing of said goods) and tertiary (the selling of said goods). I believe the fourth sector includes teachers, research and development etc. the ideal spot to be in is the seller of said goods because it is the most profitable.

the natural progression is that a country starts with manufacturing and as the economy grows richer they move into the selling of said goods. i believe that major corporations in NA and europe are intentionally making sure that third world countries never make the progression from just making the goods to actually owning the companies that sell said goods.

is anyone taking economics in university who can explain it more accurately or am i just making this all up?
I think the academic term for this is NeoColonialism. However, when the term is used, it isn't necessarily just referring to MNCs who are exploiting the relationships, whenever I've come across the term in most academic texts, it implies that it is state-supported as well. Both the state and the Multi-National benefit from the unequal relationship, and hope to keep it that way. At least that is the basic outline of the theory.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote