View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #31
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddstud View Post
What would it be like if we moved all kids/people to special settings to be with their "OWN".

Inclusion is where its at and it has a huge benefit for kids to see that everyone is different and everyone learns differently. I would LOVE for there to be autistic kids, down kids, CP kids, kids in wheelchairs in my sons classroom. It teaches them to be sensitive to others around them and to he helpful and tollerable to peers that may have certain obstacles they are dealing with.

Nothing would make me prouder as a parent for my son/daughter to learn and understand about kids that are "different". Math, volleyball, track, etc... meh..... What counts in life is how my kids treat others and the rest will follow.... just my 2 cents
I agree with this 100%... From kindergarten-graduation there was a boy who went to school with my (Timmy)(no not South Park Joke)... Anyway, Tim was disabled... I really don't know what it was that he had, I think it might have been multiple things.

of course he took his few classes each day, but every other class was the same classes we all took in public school. Everyone knew who he was, and I don't think a single kid in any of the 3 schools we attended would ever consider making fun if him, and treating him different. It was pretty emotional to see him graduate, as almost everyone had gone to school with him their whole life, he got a standing ovation from every student and parent in the place.

He was great at communicating and making friends, and you only wonder how singled out in life he would be had he been thrown in a school or classes with only the learning disabled.

I personally learned a lot about treating others with mutual respect by going to school with Tim.