View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
Be aware that not all cats like a hood on their litter tray. Clumping litter is easiest. I use World's Best from PetValu. Make sure that the litter tray is put somewhere quiet. They also say that you should one litter tray per cat plus one. If your house is large enough then a second one (on a different level) would be good.

Never make grooming a game! A good quiet time thing to do. Get the kitten use to it right from the start. Also get used to handling the front paws. Squeezing the nail bed slightly so you will have easy to trim claws time in the future.

Chase-y toys are fun for them. The ones like a fishing rod. Don't use them for jumping at a young age. More for chasing along the floor.

And you need a good strong pet carrier. Again go to the pet store and they will be delighted to help.

As far as food goes you really should feed wet food. There is an increased risk in kidney problems for cats fed kibble. We also have a water fountain for our cats. They love it.

Good luck!
jesus, i wish i got my cat as a kitten. Her front claws make wolverine scared, they are so sharp. And although she's gotten better, she hates it when I hold her front paws for more than about 3 seconds. Basically it means she hasn't had her nails trimmed in 2 years.

it doesn't help that she grew up on the streets and gets very aggressive when held. I think she almost slashed my vet to death when she tried to take her temperature rectally the first visit. After about 20 minutes and a lot of near death swipes, we decided that her temperature was probably fine.

Speaking of misbehaving cats, I've read and personally found that positive reinforcement and time outs work best. Don't "fight" with your cat when he/she has done something wrong. They'll get worse if they think it is a game. When I first got Nera she was a bit crazy. Now if she bites or scratches me, she gets a 10 minute time out in the spare bedroom. She is way, way better now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: