View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #309
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
So you're in favour of getting rid of all trace of Robert E Lee? Do you support the renaming of Washington and Lee University, the bulldozing of the ancestral Lee house you can visit at the Arlington cemetery? Where are you going to stop?

Also I really don't see how you can apply your logic of applying the morality of the times to Lee and not to the founding fathers, they all had the power to stamp out the civil war before it could fester, they wrote the phrase " all men are created equal " and did basically nothing to apply that to all men.
I am in favour of having a museum that houses artifacts from that time period. Lee's house at Arlington cemetery seems like a good one for that or something similar. One should never stamp out dark parts of history as people won't learn from those mistakes. However, boldly celebrating the awful things that happened in public spaces should not be allowed as it creates a focal point for hatred. It is the same reason why Osama Bin Laden's body was dumped in the middle of the ocean. No need for public iconography.

I am also not condoning what the founding fathers did. It was just as disgusting as what the south fought for in the civil war. There simply wasn't the same level of public support for equality at that time. They were more barbaric than their great grand children were.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post: