View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm a non parent volunteer, and we don't have a lot of parent coaches because they're not as committed long term to the program (my kids done, I'm out of here).

We want to be able to honestly coach and evaluate all of the kids and have the same level of communication, sometimes that's tough with parent coaches.

Not saying we don't use them, but they have to pass the smell test of coaching, have the required certifications and be able to work with all the coaches.

What we do have that I like is that we encourage I guess what you'd call junior coaches, which are former players that maybe aren't moving on in play level, or have the whole accumulated injury thing, and we encourage them to come out and work with the position coaches. they can pass on their knowledge, it helps them stay in touch with the game and keeps them busy. And it crazy developes coaches.
Ha! I was pretty much all of those.

I was playing Premier Men's League for a few years (after a few years off to heal injuries) and eventually I came to the realization:

"You're an Accountant bud. Liverpool or Bayern are not around the corner. Call it. You have go to work tomorrow."

Practices, Games, Travel, Injury, etc. It just wasnt worth it anymore.

Big reason I got into coaching. You know what they say about 'those who cant do?'

Well, I could still do it, but it hurt. A lot. So I decided to stop. Still hurts though.

It became something I wanted to be present for. I had coaches who knew what I could do and knew my injuries and didnt care and pushed me 110%. And for what? So I can be in my early 30s with two bad knees and wrecked ankles? Thanks..."insert swears."

I made mistakes, but I think I was honest with myself and my players and did the best I could for them, with a couple of exceptions for which I am 100% to blame.

And 'Parent Coaches' are important, but every Parent I've had has much preferred to be my assistant than run the team themselves.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: