View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Prompted partially by comments in the WRGMG thread, I am considering a condo and have some questions about noise transmission from suite to suite. Given that there are differences in building specifications and installation quality, can anyone comment generally about expectations relative to price?

For example, the building I am looking at specifies a 16" wood truss system, insulated with loose fill insulation, plywood sub-floor and 1.5" gypcrete. This strikes me as a fairly effective combination of materials / technologies for sound proofing, but is it? Where on the scale is this spec? Middle of the road for new construction? Upper end?

For wall systems, they have listed resilient channel drywall separators (which appear to be an effective and well-regarded sound deadening technology) and X type 5/8" drywall. While the website doesn't specify insulation in the shared walls my assumption is there will be something.

Comments?
For a wood frame structure, this sound proofing is about as good as you can get. Yes, there will be insulation in the shared walls.

Sometimes it's the little details where the walls connect to the ceiling, and where shared walls connect to outside walls. Hard to determine from a simple description whether these details are being done well or not.

You shouldn't be able to hear most reasonable noise from other suites.