View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #26
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Are you kidding me? I'm blind."

That was fun. I went to the 1:20 IMAX show. When I left I was like "why did I do this, I'll be up until 4". When I drove home I was actually happy I had. That's a good sign. I liked it better than ep. 7, and I liked ep. 7. Droid character was pretty great, made me want them to do a KOTOR movie so they could introduce HK47. I also enjoyed that the cameos were fairly subtle, though the fact that Jimmy Smits is polarizing - I like him as an actor, but it was an unwelcome reminder that the prequels existed. CGI tarkin didn't bother me at all, maybe the 3d made it feel less weird.

The pacing was too quick in the first half, though; I wonder if there'll be a director's cut to smooth some of that out. Also they didn't do enough to make anyone give a damn about Forest Whittaker's character... though somehow Mads Mikkelsen made his character's death fairly heartbreaking with about five total minutes of screen time. Dude is just an acting god.

I'll say this though: the show was scheduled for 1:20 and didn't start until 1:46 a.m. That's a full half hour of commercials I had to sit through given I was five minutes early to my seat. That's ####ing ridiculous. At minimum, the trailers should start at the ticketed time; they didn't come on until well after 1:30. We were just sitting there watching Nissan ads and such.

The GOTG2 trailer was pretty fantastic though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaFan View Post
Sorry, can someone explain why the Alliance wanted to kill Galen Erso so badly? The weapon was complete, his role in its construction was done. If anything he would be a key person to extract, with complete information on its design. He was clearly worth more to the rebels alive than dead, he had shown signs of being sympathetic to their cause, and they had emotional leverage on him since they had his daughter.
This was the only plot item that really bothered me while I was watching. When what's his name says "who knows what he might be building for them now", I physically mouthed "what". Made zero sense. They've got a planet killing uber-weapon, whatever he might be scheming on as a follow up is kind of immaterial because none of you will be around to see it. There were a few other nitpicks but they were really just that, nitpicks.

Anyway I'm going to be tired today.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote