Thread: Gluten
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
Pilsner12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
It's a fad just like any other diet craze. Just another way for marketers to peddle their crap. People with legitimate gluten allergies have to be super careful about what they eat and can't "occasionally" eat gluten without getting ill.

Gluten allergies are trendy!

Now please, excuse me while I finish my Greek yogurt with hemp hearts and chia seeds.

I can't begin to express how much this comment infuriates me.

Yes there are individuals that are gluten free to be "trendy" but for some this is a very real medical concern which you have recognized.

Many people are born with the intolerance that can remain dormant until a traumatic event to ones body. (child birth, stress ect...)

Within a year of meeting my wife she developed a skin rash that was misdiagnosed as eczema for the better part of seven years by a family doctor, dermatologist and various medical professionals at clinics. It wasn't until this past summer that she had such a bad breakout that she tried to see our family physician and when she couldn't get into see him she went to emergency at Foothills where the Doctor that she saw suggested that he was confident that she had the allergy and ordered the proper blood tests. With the disease unknown to us we questioned it to the point where he said if the tests don't come back positive for Celiac that they should take away his medical license.

Since the tests that diagnosed her with the disease we have had a major change in lifestyle and diets. From that point my wife has seen a change in her overall health, skin and fatigue all for the better. About three months after the change she consumed gluten in a moment of weakness and within twenty-four hours her skin had broken out into the same condition that it was prior to her diagnosis.

We try very hard to remain GF and have found that foods that she thought bothered her before such as cream sauces would be the thing upsetting her stomach. She now can eat GF sauces with rice pasta and have no side effects with her stomach.

Prior to her diagnosis we had experienced issues carrying a child to term and have experienced some losses with no answers. Upon her diagnosis we read every book that we could get our hands on pertaining to the allergy and a common thing that we have been reading is that your body works so hard to fight the allergy that if you are pregnant the body doesn't take care of the baby as required which we are hoping now that we understand the allergy will change our cards when it comes to having a second child.

It is a very real disease that people live with and struggle through everyday. It is becoming more known and everyday there is more and more awareness and products available to make living with the disease easier but every now and then you come across people that are closed minded to the issue. Thank you Reverend for recognizing that there are people that suffer from the allergy but to say that it is "trendy" proves that there is more awareness needed.
Pilsner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pilsner12 For This Useful Post: