View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 11:13 AM   #3210
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Sorry for the drive by/drop in.

I'm looking at a new laptop. It's been quite a while since I had one, as I've been relying on my desktop for many moons. What I'm considering is a mid range gaming laptop, as it would cover all of my needs, and also allow me to fire up some new games, as I've also gotten away from that for a number of years, and would like to play a little.

The only downside of a gaming laptop is a poor keyboard, but these days even workstation laptops have weak chicklets, so that's not a backbreaker.

I've looked at the Asus Tuf15, Leveno Legion Pro 5, the Gigabyte G6 and glanced at the Auorus 16.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Sale prices on them vary, but the first three run from 1400 on the low end to 2000 on the high end, and the Auorus about 2500. Biggest difference in price is due to CPU and RTX-4050 through 4070.

I guess my biggest question is, does any one of these stand out as being a solid build? Has anyone enjoyed one?

(I can dig out and post specs if needed) Thanks!
You can get Cherry MX keyboards on Lenovo (i7 series and upwards)and Alienware laptops if you wants that sturdy clicky feel. I'd look at maybe MSI as well if I were you. I think their Katana line is solid from the things I've looked at.

As far as GPUs go, you're definitely in the 4070 realm of costs.

I've been doing a metric ton of research on a n laptop myself recently with an aim towards upper mid gaming and photo/video editing and I found that if you're aiming to play newer titles youight want to aim a bit higher and grab a 4080 with 12gb of GPU ram instead of the 8gb the 4070 comes with on laptops.

Also look at the new Acer Predator Helios line. They've come out with a strong candidate this year as well for mid range.

Something I came across in my budget search as well was a refurbished Alienware x17 r2. Around 2500 with a great screen and a rtx 3080ti which is still better than anything rtx 4070 and lower . Say what you want about dell but the build quality on alienwares are top end.

Last edited by dammage79; 04-29-2024 at 11:15 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote