View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #14
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see why there isn't room for both the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey.

Sure, I can see how people look at the world cup as something a bit contrived. Name one tournament that doesn't start off that way though. All tournaments start nothing short of something that is contrived and 'made up' just to make money for someone or some organization.

However, keep doing it long enough, and then suddenly you find that a tournament has substance. That a tournament has some history and nostalgia, and that the winners of said tournament will be heralded for achieving something important.

It just takes time. I would rather see NHL players being present at both tournaments. Olympic gold can not be replicated by any tournament. The Stanley Cup Finals is the premier championship to win in Hockey, but players (and fans) also take an enormous amount of pride in winning Olympic gold. Winning a world cup might not be something so special at the moment, but after 5 tournaments of it, I bet it will be considered one of the most important tournaments in hockey. It just takes time to build it up.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: