Thread: school me in 4k
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well there are a few things. One is simply the source content, is it 4k. Netflix has a bunch of 4k content that is easy to access (under UHD). Second is your manual should state which input is "best" for viewing 4k content, they all have a preferential one (just like there is a preferential one for gaming). Lastly, yes your receiver would need to be able to put through 4k output to your TV. Now, would you see much difference? Maybe, most TV's upconvert the signals to 4k using various software methods, so most content looks better than it would in its native form.

I would recommend you do it the other way around, activate CEC or ARC on both the TV and the receiver, connect your sources direct to your TV, connect your TV to your receiver via the ARC input/output. This should route your audio through the TV to the receiver, it will also turn on the receiver and control the volume via any remote in your system, but it will keep the video signal native to the source direct to the TV.

Now, ARC isn't a reliable thing, despite it being a "standard". Sometimes it just doesn't work, sometimes its HDMI cable fussy, sometimes the devices don't want to handshake and stuff just doesn't work. Its too bad, because audio over HDMI is superior as its digital, and with many 4k streams you'll get the true audio of the source.

Should audio over HDMI fail because of ARC issues, you still have other options. I found my ARC/CEC was flaky with my Vizio M and my Marantz receiver, it worked for months, then worked intermittantly. Its probably my HDMI cable and the handshake issues I talked about, but I went back to optical audio (via TOSLINK), which for the most part is indistinguishable, especially when talking about most streams or audio that you're watching. It still does DTS and dolby and all of that. Its just optical instead of digital, and it works without fail every time. CEC/ARC now just makes sure that the receiver turns on when the TV does, and when I adjust volume I can do it from any remote and it controls the receiver.

Clear as mud?

Last edited by Aleks; 03-07-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post: