View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #71
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gulutzan is a good regular season coach because his strong defensive systems will get you through the grind... but he lacks the testicular fortitude to control momentum in a game or, as we saw, series. I've seen it all year... I think deep down the problem with a player's coach is that they don't want to get on their player's bad side by benching them for anything but egregious mistakes. This kind of coach is just great if you've got the Washington Capitals roster (btw, I think Trotz is the exact same kind of coach, and I'm not a fan of Trotz either) because the team depth isn't an issue. But for a mediocre roster like ours, we need a coach with a sense of desperation, who will throw **** at the wall to spark the team. Hartley had it, but just insisted on his passive defensive systems and penalty kill. Quennville is the best coach in the league, as he will dig deep to get an edge. Another guy who seems to have "it" is Laviollette.

Overall, should Gulutzan be outright fired for getting outcoached in this series? No. He deserves an opportunity to reflect and get better. But I don't think Gulutzan has earned any extension to his contract.. he should be let go at the end of his deal if he doesn't prove he can take the next level in-game. If he stagnates, we won't get anywhere.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: