View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BC-Chris

I don't really have a basis on the kids as I don't have any however, when I was very young I had an aunt who was my favorite aunt. She was smart and funny and always wrote me little notes and sent me cards, and I stayed with her and my other relatives as a kid.

One day she got lung cancer, but because I was young, I think that my parents kind of shielded me from it, I got to go and see her to I think the point where the cancer sh%t show took away everything vibrant about her and reduced her to a shell. At that point my parents quit taking me to see her, I guess they thought that seeing her like that would have been two hard on a young kid like me, I think I was 4 or 5, and yes I remember it.

I also remember because my parents and especially my mom were going through their own worries and stages of grief that they didn't think about talking to us kids about what was going on, and I don't blame them at all for that.

but I also remember that when she died, it was super traumatic, maybe because later on in life I kept thinking that it would have been nice to be with her through to the end, maybe I could have made things better. But after she died, my parents sat me down to talk about death before we buried her, but by that point it didn't help, and it didn't make it any easier for me, and my reaction didn't make it any easier for them, because I remember entirely freaking out because the last time I saw her she seemed to be relatively healthy but laying in bed, the next time I saw her it was a picture in a church and then them carting her body to the grave.

So, thinking back on it, I think that maybe some preparation will help the older one, the younger one is still learning that licking glass isn't the greatest thing ever. But just as you have to kind of transition and help your self and help your dad and other family members in terms of dealing with this awful event, I think you have to prepare the older kid.

Just my two cents and I'm probably wrong.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote