View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #43
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I have posted this 2 or perhaps 3 times before in the past. This is the one and only single quantifiable shred of insight in Sigalet's work that I have been able to find good or bad.

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2016/...stment-to.html

Quote:
"We always look at the goals that go in to see how I could have given myself a better chance to make the save," said Ramo, who after getting the Flames opening night start, struggled so badly in October he ended up being put on waivers, going unclaimed, and was assigned briefly to Stockton (AHL).

The recommendation was for Ramo to stay further back in his net. While he was reluctant to describe it as a "change" to his playing style, he acknowledges he has made an adjustment.
It seems the same adjustment is in store for Lack.

Quote:
"When he first started making the adjustments, he was still thinking about them a little bit too much. It's all muscle memory so we'd work on it a lot in practice," said Sigalet. "Now it's to the point where he doesn't even think about it. In those situations, he knows where he should be in his crease."
With the revolving door of goaltenders lately, and apparently how long it takes goalies to make adjustments, I guess it does make Sigalet's job a bit tougher.

Quote:
Proof that the adjustment has worked can be found in the numbers. At the end of November, Ramo's save percentage was .899 and six times he had surrendered at least four goals. Since the start of December, he's posted a .930 save percentage and given up four goals in a game only once.
Proof that Sigalet's adjustment worked. Also, if Ramo was healthy, I would have loved him back as the backup. I really think he was improving and was a capable starter (i.e. 'average'). He was certainly trending that way, though obviously if he had come cheap and his knee was back to 100%.

If anyone has any other tidbits of insight that we can read, digest, and even dissect, please post them. We as fans probably never, ever see or hear anything to do about what adjustments are being talked about between a goalie and the goalie coach. The only other insight I remember reading about was actually a piece on Marcoux working with Kipper many years ago. That's it.

Until there is some tangible evidence of proof that Sigalet is a poor coach who is adversely affecting Calgary's goalies, I will go by the one and only article with examples that detailed some insight into what he actually did. Everything else is speculation based on some goalies that showed poor numbers, but not a single goalie was a #1 goalie at any time in their career, or were no longer considered a #1 caliber goalie by the time they arrived in Calgary (Hiller).

My personal opinion of Sigalet is "I have no clue what he does except from the above, so that makes 1 positive and 0 negative arguments for him." That's it. I am very willing to change my opinion from positive to negative if anyone has any evidence to the contrary, but nobody seems to provide that.

Also something that I find noteworthy that I haven't seen mentioned (and sorry if someone has already covered it and I missed it) but not a single goalie that left Calgary has said a single bad word about Sigalet as a coach. A few have voiced their displeasure at maybe how Calgary didn't provide them with what they felt was an earned chance, or perhaps they were misused, etc., but not a single whisper of Sigalet not being a good coach. I find that interesting in itself, and it leads me to believe that Sigalet is probably not the problem, and as others have noted, Treliving didn't hesitate to let Ward go in the AHL even though he was immensely popular with the players, fans and media, didn't hesitate to let Hartley go in spite of him winning the Jack Adams just the prior year and also being very popular with the media at least (and a strong contingent of fans), so I see no reason why he would retain Sigalet if Sigalet was not doing a good job.

I am running on the assumption that it is easier to look at the lack of success in net for the Flames and point at one of the only constants, rather than notice that perhaps the goalies themselves were just not very good. Again, I am open to any empirical data - or even comments from prior goalies that have passed through Calgary. Until then, I will just keep assuming that Sigalet is not the problem.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: