View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #38
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/gior...ar/c-290367960

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - For his tireless work in the community and his dedication to charitable causes, Mark Giordano has been named this year's ESPN Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Of The Year.

The award recognizes an athlete "whose continuous, demonstrated leadership has created a positive impact on their community through sports."

As the winner, the Flames captain will direct a $100,000 grant from ESPN to his charity, Team Giordano.

"It was really special, right from the start - watching the video of Muhammad Ali and then being able to win the award at the end of the night, I'm truly honoured," Giordano told CalgaryFlames.com.

"It's a pretty emotional night, pretty surreal for me right now."
Quote:
Following the summary of Giordano's work, ESPN reviewed the Ali's charitable contributions and how he impacted society with his work.

"Being forever linked to a man like this is something I'm going to cherish and really carry on and spend some time explaining to my children when they get older," he said.

Being around so many like-minded individuals over the past couple of days has been inspirational for Giordano and has fuelled his desire to help more people in his community.

"There's so many great people in the room tonight ... it's such a great event, I've never been a part of anything like it, to be honest.

"Tonight was another eye-opener - so many great people that you grow up idolizing and watching in the room with us tonight and you see the work they do in their communities."
Quote:
"He is so deserving," general manager Brad Treliving told CalgaryFlames.com. "And he doesn't do any of this for applause. He doesn't do it because he has to. He does it because he wants to.

"He doesn't do this for recognition or awards or any of that but you're always happy for a person who commits like he does to be recognized.

"We are fortunate to have Gio and his wife, Lauren, as a part of community."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post: