View Single Post
Old 10-24-2023, 08:46 PM   #327
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Grew up as a big anime fan but now as an adult, I find most animes are made for children and teenagers/young adults and about high school shenanigans or younger kids in empowered fantasy worlds. I can't watch anime anymore as I cannot relate to it anymore.

There is a bunch of manga called Seinen (young adult) or Gekiga (adult). Where are the animes for that? I want an anime about the struggles of being a Japanese salary man working for a difficult company with office politics and his struggles to pay the bills.
yeah typically manga for adults falls under the seinen (men) or josei (women) categories, so stuff adapted from such manga tends to have more relatable themes (although personally as an adult, stuff like One Piece and Gurren Lagann will always be my vibe)

A few I do recommend though:

- Shirobako - an anime about... making anime. Literally. I enjoyed it a ton.
- Nana - a brilliant about moving to Tokyo as a 20-something. Total tearjerker with a loveable cast. Also about a punk rock band as its b-plot.
- Honey & Clover - a masterpiece about art college. Way better than the premise, it's really driven by stronf writing.
- Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo: The Anime
- Shiki - I'm not really a horror person, but Shiki is the best piece of zombie media i've ever experienced
- Zom 100 - speaking of zombies, an anime about someone who finds the zombie apocalypse refreshing because he was burnt out from working in an exploitative corporation
- Terra E - The best space opera i've ever watched.
- Noein - A show about time travel with exceptional writing.
- Shinsekai Yori - characters start out young, but there is a timeskip midway.
- Banana Fish - a masterpiece that's kind of like The Wire. highly recommend
- Rose of Versailles - A classic set during the french revolution. My #3 anime ever
- The Tatami Galaxy - groundhog day show about someone trying to have his "ideal" college experience. masterpiece although the first few episodes were admittedly repetitive (but it all pays off)
- The Legend of Galactic Heroes - Space opera driven by compelling characters and politics. 100+ episodes but make no mistake, it's not an action show.
- The Twelve Kingdoms - although it does have a bit of that "highschooler in another world" trope, it's from a different era and moreso just focuses on worldbuilding and political intrigue. The first and third story arcs are so powerful that it's my #2 anime.
- Log Horizon - while technically full of modern isekai tropes (trapped in a MMORPG), it's about grownups building a society and economy more than anything

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-24-2023 at 08:52 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote