View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #965
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I posted this in the skiing and snowboarding thread but thought I'd post it here too since it's relevant.

"Unless you know where to look, there’s little evidence of a once-bustling ski industry outside the Big Three at Banff. Where families clad in one-piece nylon suits once shushed down runs at Wintergreen, Turner Valley and Pigeon Mountain, hikers now benefit from the grassy slopes left in their wake. Most of the ski lifts, left abandoned and rusting for years, have been sold off and removed."

"Skiing got its start in Alberta about 1911 but it really took off in the 1940s and ’50s after the war years. Ski hills sprouted up in prairie gullies and ravines across the province with volunteers clearing brush and raising funds. The facilities were basic, but they introduced an entire generation to the sport. Over time, as money and snow disappeared, so did many of the little operations. Skiers moved on to bigger elevations at Banff and Kananaskis but for some longtime Calgarians, fond memories remain of the hills where many of us learned to ski."

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...lost-ski-hills
Did you see the comment at the bottom of the article?

Interesting..

Quote:
Robert Lyon · CEO at Retired land developer
My name is Robert "Bob Lyon". I am the guy that built Lyon Mountain ( later to be named Winter Green ). Even though it took 15 years of my life to complete, the then Conservative Govt. did not see fit to give me a proper chance, so they after only one season under my administation,----- called my loan. The Treasury Branch, the Alberta Opportunity Company, and a special commity hired by the Conservative Government forced me into bankruptsy.
Never once has a news reporter asked me to tell my side of the gruelling story. I am now 82 and should I die tomorrow i truly will end up the winner. I have my health and my memory is as good as is everything happened yesterday. That being said, I could tell tales that would "without a doubt" if put to print could end up being a best seller. If the book were ever to be written i would call it. " Banksters and a Prairie Boy"
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post: