View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 09:23 AM   #22
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we as fans just need to remain patient. There are people who will start throwing around the bust word after he has a bad game, and there are people who will proclaim him as the next Kiprusoff after a great performance. I believe that Jamie McLennan is probably right - he will need time to develop more at the NHL level. One great example of this is Carey Price. For many seasons, Price was easily the best goaltender for Canada, and arguably the best goalie on the planet. He had high pedigree, but he didn't look so hot coming into the NHL. Halak looked like the superior goalie, and it wasn't even close.

Saros was brought along really slowly as well under Rinne. Saros was the backup for 3 seasons or so, and Rinne was still around when Saros was getting more starts than Rinne.

As for Wolf's height - it is overblown. Saros is listed at 5'11", and nobody is doubting his ability to be a great starter. Quick is 6'1", and he won a couple of cups.

I think Wolf will take over the starter's job in time, as there are not many goalies entering the NHL with his overall success and accolades. He has looked good in a number of games as well at the NHL level. I would think that the organization will still try and insulate him, and give him the backup role for now. Either Markstrom stays and plays the role of the mentor for Wolf, or Vladar stays and takes a lot of the pressure off of Wolf in the starts (and we don't REALLY know what Vladar is capable of, and he is hardly a finished product either), or the Flames go out and sign a veteran goalie to work as a mentor with Wolf.

He is absolutely a blue-chip prospect. There are no guarantees, but I do believe that as long as the Flames bring him around slowly, he will end up becoming a very good starter for this team that can be relied on for the next decade.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: