View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the overall CFL numbers are up (or at least higher than the 80's/90's) but from personal experience and reading some stuff on other forums it seems that the CFL in Alberta is seeing a bit of a decline right now.

I know I used to be a die hard, season ticket holder and now don't follow the league at all. From talking to others I know a lot of the fans that used to go to a couple games a year now have little to no interest and former casual fans have no interest either. This seems to range from changing demographics (kids, cabins, vacations) that take time from going to football games, more interest/access to NFL replacing CFL and not enjoying atmosphere of games (both extremes of no tailgating to obnoxious drunks).

The demographics should be replaced by younger fans taking place of older fans but it does seem like NFL is much more poplar in Canada than it was even 10 years ago and people are able to follow and go to their teams games much easier than they use to.

It also doesn't help that Edmonton has been pathetic for so long and that the Priders are now the main rival. But I do think the CFL needs to take a look at how they do things and how they turnoff fans that are not Prider fans. It is a great league that was fun to follow but if the continue along the path they are on it may only be Prider intersquad games left (which would probably be fine with the inbred hillbillies that cheer for the Priders but not great for the overall success of the CFL.)
moon is offline   Reply With Quote