View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's Luongo's fault more then anything. He obviously had $$$ signs in his eyes as he signed that contract. He knew damn well that his cap-circumventing 12 year contract, signed at age 31, would be an albatross. No way in hell he's that stupid that he thinks otherwise.

Yes, Gillis is at fault too for offering that much. But every man has a price. Luongo signed knowing his family name would be rich for generations. Then, Luongo wants out. But only to certain teams. Right then and there he handcuffed the GM. Especially when it became publicly known that he shot down the Toronto deal and wanted to go back to Florida.

To put it bluntly, both sides are idiots for letting it get to this stage. But both sides knew damn well going into this contract that a lot can happen in 12 years. Both sides made that bed, now lie it in. I don't care that it's the Canucks. It was a dumb contract in the first place that was put in place by Luongo's greed, and Gillis' desire to have a goalie long-term at a cap friendly hit.

I always knew every since the lockout in '05 that all these stupid decade long contracts would bite that team in the ass a couple years down the road. I for one enjoy watching teams stuggle with these contracts, as we are now seeing the fruits of those seeds that got planted so long ago.

My 1 and only wish is that in the newest CBA, that they never allowed for amnesty buyouts. I hate how teams can simply wipe the slate clean with certain players. I want to see heads roll. I want to see greedy players who negotiated such longterm stupid deals, get crapped upon by fans and media alike. I want to see GMs hang their heads in shame over the ''mistake'' they made. I want to see people accountable for their actions.

The only person who won in the Luongo fiasco is Cory Schneider and the NJD. It just amuses me to no end that Lou Lamourello came out of nowhere...and snagged a top goalie for such a low price. He was able to find a way to pass the torch on in NJ, and Schneider will thrive on that. NDJ will continue to be an elite franchise as long as Lou is at the helm, and he just continued on with that tradition by stealing Schneider. That makes this whole situation even more hilarious.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: