View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 PM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So the better question might be what could replace university that would allow people to develop self reliance and have a life experience that doesn't require large amounts of debt.
The CliffFletcher Self Reliance and Global Awareness Life Experience Program: At 19 years old, every Canadian is given a plane ticket to a random country, with a return flight in 3 months, and $3,000 CDN. I guarantee they'll learn more about themselves in those months than in 3 years of university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Not every method of education that isn't the current status quo for University has to be independent online learning. But you could make an argument that given the current technology in a lot of workforces, there would be quite a bit of overlap in terms of learning to communicate effectively via email, skype etc.
It is odd how little the digital revolution has affected post-secondary education. Does anyone think that if we invented post-secondary education today, with today's technology and with no vested interests or preconceptions, that we would came up with a system that would look anything like what we have now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I think a large portion of the value that comes from a university degree is from the work required to get one. As others have mentioned, you have to develop a bunch of soft skills (teamwork, time management, writing, etc.) in order to make it through a 4 year program. The knowledge learned in the program is important too, but there is great value from the development of all those soft skills.

I think there is similar feelings towards post-university designations. My boss once told me that my designation is powerful in the workforce not only for the knowledge I acquired in it, but the hard work and soft skills that you must have in order to achieve it.
All true. What I can't understand is why the cost of attaining those skills has been increasing at twice the rate of inflation for more than 30 years now.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote