View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #47
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
One of the biggest challenges for lawyers (and here's a first world problem if ever there was one) is that it's often hard to trade money for lifestyle or interesting work. It always feels like a downgrade when you take a big pay cut, and so people stick with work they hate because they can't imagine making $75K a year instead of $160 or whatever.
The funny thing is a lot of us are probably talking about careers we dislike with a salary already closer to that lower figure, and the risk is taking on a new career that pays even less than that. I guess I am still fairly young though and can only go up.

My brother has the opinion that he doesn't care how much he hates his job as long as he is paid well to do it- I am not sure about that philosophy and think it might not be a sustainable way of life.

My wife recently left a miserable job she hated, after being there many years, to go to a start up company (purely for job satisfaction reasons, and future potential I guess) that is paying her about 65% of her previous salary. She had been depressed in the previous company for a while and really wanted out. Well, she absolutely loves her new company and is a happier person, but it definitely is a financial adjustment. I would really have a hard time doing that regardless of how miserable I was, but then again, she just disliked her job, not career. I think I dislike both.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote