View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #15
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Iginla was all those things and more. I heard he purposely veto'd the Boston trade not because he thought the Pens were a better contender. But he had a personal feud with Jay Feaster going back to the Bolts cup win in '04. Something about how Feaster winked at him weirdly in the handshake line.

Turns out, Iginla had the last laugh.
C'mon, everyone thought the Pens were going to win it that year. It was either the Pens or the Hawks, but the Pens had the highest certainty at the time of the trade. Don't read too much from something out of nothing. You and I would've done the same thing if the odds were stacked on the Pens side that year. But playoffs are not guaranteed if another team gets pissed enough for something that was done before hand. Who would've thought the Pens would go in shaky against the Islanders and then shell-shocked by the Bruins afterwards?

I'd also add that Jay Feaster was added to the Flames management just to do one thing - to rebuild the team. If that meant rebuilding from ground up, he'd do that and he did do it. If he still had players like JBo, Regehr, Iggy and a smaller core of vets in the lineup, it would've likely halted some parts of the rebuild. Also, that's what the majority of the fans wanted in the town hall meetings at the Dome. Feaster listened and he delivered, yet albeit building a team that was fast but small. By getting rid of all the big contracts and the restrictive conditions, Feaster was able to push the team to the basement but added some entertainment value. I don't think any of the Flames' past and present GM's were willing to do that. To me Feaster was a sacrificial lamb. Once the tank is over, cut his throat and move on. Everyone saw that coming with Burke being hired.

Last edited by CSharp; 02-26-2017 at 07:19 PM.