Thread: Cycling Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #4469
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Any thoughts on a disc vs canti brakes for pathway/urban use? I know that discs are better for crappy weather, rim life...but also heavier and require a bit more maintenance. Is it overkill, or good future proofing?
I have canti brakes on my cx bike and, for stopping power, they are fine. However, I can never get them dialled in so I'd prefer discs in that regard. I don't think there is a right/wrong answer.

Quote:
At the moment, I'm looking to spec with Shimano 105s. However I'm also intrigued by the X1 setups from SRAM. Any thoughts on those? I like the idea of simplifying...both mechanically and aesthetically. I do prefer the aesthetics of Shimanos though over the busier SRAM graphics, ha.
Well, I personally don't like SRAM haha, but certainly the trend is moving to 1x set-ups. There is nothing to say that you can't employ a 1x set-up with Shimano, though.

Quote:
What width and/or type of tire do you recommend? I've ridden on 25mm road bikes, and maybe because I'm coming off a mountain bike, I felt they get a bit squirrelly on roads that aren't full cleaned. Would 30-35mm slicks make more sense?
I have 30mm all-round CX tires on my bike. They roll nice on pavement. In the winer, I install Continental 38mm winter tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post: