View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

We had our honeymoon in Varadero about 7 years ago, and may even end up going back later this year for some beach & sun.

My biggest tip would be to arrange private transport to Havana, or book a package that includes a hotel room for the night. Havana is stunningly beautiful city and I wish I'd seen more of it... but man did I regret doing the bus tour from our resort. You're being shuffled on/off the bus from landmark to landmark, and as soon as you step off the bus there's street peddlers pushing bouquet of flowers & other trinkets in your face.

I don't feel this was a reflection of Cuba as a whole, or particularly the people, just the nature of stepping off a big air conditioned bus at a tourist site screams "Money to be made here" in a pretty obvious way.

But having said that, the farmers/flea market we visited in Havana was fantastic, sadly the cigar factories were closed when we were there, but I'd still love to do a tour of one.

The single best Mojito I've ever had was at a beachside dive in Varadero, the older bar tender took his sweet time making it... but man it was worth the wait.

Also the rum, drink all of it, but especially the Havana Club Anejo Especial.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post: