View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #33
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
^ You sound like you work for Guthy-Renker or something. Will you be giving demonstrations in the Round-Up Centre?

No I do not, nor will I be giving demonstrations. But I did grow up on a farm in rural Saskatchewan where we did not get power until 1955. So out of necessity, you have to know how to process or can food products. We can freeze now, not back then, even meat was processed except for things like chicken or fish that could be consumed in one meal.

I still grow a lot of my own food and I prepare most of my food from scratch. I have not bought any kind of pickles outside of say olives for years, I do my own pickling from all from my home grown cucumbers. I make most of my own jams and jellies, just made Seville marmalade a couple of weeks ago because the Seville oranges were in season.

My children are grown and away from home now so we do not require as much food so I no longer freeze as many vegetables and the like. But if and when I do, I use the same procedure as above, I remove as much air as possible before anything is put in the freezer.

By the way, I make my own salsa with my own home grown tomatoes!!! And 4x4, that stuff does not last long enough to worry about it going bad))

Last edited by redforever; 02-16-2008 at 10:54 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote