View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #1681
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Good to know. Yes, I had problems when they first came out and didn't realize companies started making much better ones. I feel stupid for buying it now but at least it's extra long I guess.
No cable lasts forever. Even the well regarded kevlar reinforced Anker cable.

The Belkin cable perhaps is superior to the Belkin products I used in the past, but for $35, I can buy 9 braided cables of the same length that should last nearly as long as the Belkin. Even if it only lasts half the life due to it being some sketchy build, you're way up in terms of cable replacement. That's not even getting into the Anker cable which should last longer than the Belkin and costs less (but takes a bit longer to acquire due to shipping)

Most cables fray at approximately the same spot. If somehow no cable can withstand your usage habits, consider reinforcing the "ankle" with something like Sugru. Technically, you can reinforce any cable with Sugru, but I'd hesitate to suggest repairing a cable with Sugru. Replace all frayed cables.

Long cables help a lot, especially at the bedside. The cables aren't pulled as hard at varying angles when you pick up the phone to check it etc. With a longer cable, you can comfortably sit in bed using the device vs pushing your body at an angle to use the device. If you strained to use the device before, likely the cable was straining too.

And seriously consider checking the wall adapter. I've thrown out a lot of wall chargers because they start warming up after about a year (Apple included). Based on the ones I've tried, you can't really go wrong with Anker, Amazon basics, Blackberry or Aukey wall chargers. I'd definitely suggest going with a model with 2 or more USB ports.

I've always been pretty happy with this style of wall charger:

https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-Desktop-...s=wall+charger

The cord on the wall charger means after plugging in once, I don't have to go behind whatever again to reach the outlet. Plus I have extra USB ports so I don't have to constantly unplug and replug. This is especially helpful when traveling and the only available plug is in some random corner and/or a significant other or someone unplugging you to charge their device due to no free USB ports.

But the basic wall ones are fine too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote