View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #49
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
While I understand your point (and I usually complain about playground zones myself, living near one of the worst), you've decided arbitrarily what the acceptable limits are before you should get caught. You've decided that 42 in a 30 (40% over the speed limit) and 130 in a 110 (18% over the speed limit) are equally worthy of being pulled over. Why?

In the first case, you're right in that the likelihood of seeing a child playing in a playground zone in the dead of winter after dark is unlikely these days. However, setting a uniform time year round does have the benefit of removing any doubt of when you should be going slower. In your specific example, we're not going to be able to see black ice on the road at -25 at night, so I wouldn't want to bet on that in the rare case a kid is actually out there.

In the second case, people's opinions on what is safe on a highway differ drastically. Many people on this forum would say 140 is where things get hairy, but really...at 110 and up, good luck stopping quick enough on a congested Highway 2 when there's an accident in front of you. The only real difference in examples is that you're crashing into a vehicle designed to absorb impacts, instead of potentially a human being in a playground zone who can't take a hit from a car.
Decided might be a bit strong. More like, made up numbers off the top of my head. And I'll be the first to admit I can be a major hypocrite. I get frustrated quite easily when I see someone fly through a 30 zone (at speeds obviously way too fast, like 60+). And I prefaced what I said by saying I don't have a better alternative. I know why the zones are they way they are year round and that changing it up can be confusing and/or costly.

But you can't tell me there aren't times you're surprised at your speed? Whether you're going faster or slower than you thought you were? Maybe it's fatigue level; driving a vehicle you don't normally drive; hell, even different footwear. It happens. Being locked on a speedometer isn't safe either.

Whatever. I'm going to pay my ticket without challenging it. And it sounds like investing in a detector might be useless now. So I'll continue to drive as I feel safe and comfortable according to conditions and traffic, and I guess occasionally get the odd speeding ticket. Weird I never get one for slowing down traffic nor have ever heard of anyone else getting one - equally dangerous and against the law but I guess that kind of safety is ignorable.
BsFaninCGY is online now   Reply With Quote