View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
lQuestions. Is Roundup safe? Anyone ever use it before? Do i even need to use it? If I simply cover the grass with dirt, and cover that with landscape fabric, the grass should die, correct?
You don't really need the Roundup. Just dig up the grass, including the roots (means digging about 3-4" deep). That's what I did for my gardens, and I haven't had any problems with grass returning - I didn't even need landscape fabric (which I personally find to be more of a nuisance than anything).

In terms of safety - it's not believed to be especially toxic to humans or animals, and isn't really a safety concern if you use it properly (i.e. follow the directions). Health Canada is currently re-evaluating this pesticide though, and the allowable uses could change. There is a bit of recent data about possible endocrine disruption, and using it around young kids or pregnant women maybe isn't the best idea. Personally I wouldn't use it anywhere I was growing vegetables in the near future just as a matter of erring on the side of caution, even though it is used on food crops (why use it if it isn't needed?).
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote